People people and more people! I’ve been in a bit of art molasses with other projects, and these characters just started coming out naturally. I love when things happen like that. It gives me hope.
I’d like do share my process incase you’d ever want to try something similar:
1. I found vacation pictures and used people in the backgrounds as loose inspiration/reference.
2. I did very fast character sketches of people, focusing most importantly on big interesting shapes and exaggeration. The most important part for me in this stage is to sketch in pen (to have a more deliberate mindset), and to sketch fast! You can do as many as you want. A lot will look like utter crap until you get some you like.
3. So, next I pick the scrappy doodles I like, and use a projector to blow up the drawings and project them on a piece of drawing paper. (You can also use a window or a tracing table or whatever works for you). Trace the doodle lightly.
4. Next I get out the watercolors and play around with washes over the light drawing, and come up with a cool general color idea/base. No details… it will feel like kindergarden again.
5. Now I use some prisma colored pencils (or whatever kind you have), and flush out the rest! I also use white and black gesso if needed. Really play around, there is no right and wrong… have fun!
6. After this, I scan the drawings, touch up the colors if needed and add some texture. You can do it!!
Audrey Benjaminsen 2014